Listen to the Sermon:
Download the Notes: 09282014TheHolyOneOfGodDonRuhl
The Holy One of God
Who is Jesus of Nazareth?
Don Ruhl • Savage Street, Grants Pass, Oregon • September 28, In the year of our Lord, 2014
Scripture Reader and Reading: Luke 5.4–9
- Psalm 99 makes a triple declaration of the holiness of the Lord.
- Isaiah 6 makes a triple declaration of the holiness of the Lord.
- Revelation 4 makes a triple declaration of the holiness of the Lord.
- And the Gospels make a triple declaration of the holiness of the Lord.
- Mark 1.21–28 – An Unclean Spirit Identified Jesus as the Holy One of God
21 Then they went into Capernaum, and immediately on the Sabbath He entered the synagogue and taught. 22 And they were astonished at His teaching, for He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes. 23 Now there was a man in their synagogue with an unclean spirit. And he cried out, 24 saying, “Let us alone! What have we to do with You, Jesus of Nazareth? Did You come to destroy us? I know who You are—the Holy One of God!” 25 But Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be quiet, and come out of him!” 26 And when the unclean spirit had convulsed him and cried out with a loud voice, he came out of him. 27 Then they were all amazed, so that they questioned among themselves, saying, “What is this? What new doctrine is this? For with authority He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey Him.” 28 And immediately His fame spread throughout all the region around Galilee (Mark 1.21–28).
- Luke 4.31–37 – An Unclean Spirit Identified Jesus as the Holy One of God
31 Then He went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and was teaching them on the Sabbaths. 32 And they were astonished at His teaching, for His word was with authority. 33 Now in the synagogue there was a man who had a spirit of an unclean demon. And he cried out with a loud voice, 34 saying, “Let us alone! What have we to do with You, Jesus of Nazareth? Did You come to destroy us? I know who You are—the Holy One of God!” 35 But Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be quiet, and come out of him!” And when the demon had thrown him in their midst, it came out of him and did not hurt him. 36 Then they were all amazed and spoke among themselves, saying, “What a word this is! For with authority and power He commands the unclean spirits, and they come out.” 37 And the report about Him went out into every place in the surrounding region (Luke 4.31–37).
- John 6.66–69 – Peter Identified Jesus as the Holy One of God (All translations except Old and New King James Versions)
66 After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him. 67 So Jesus said to the Twelve, “Do you want to go away as well?” 68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, 69 and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God” (John 6.66–69, ESV).
- The Old Testament Identified Three Men as Holy (ESV translation of LXX)
- Samson the Judge,
17 And he told her all his heart, and said to her, “A razor has never come upon my head, for I have been a Nazirite to God from my mother’s womb. If my head is shaved, then my strength will leave me, and I shall become weak and be like any other man” (Jdg 16.17, ESV).
- Elijah the Prophet,
9 And she said to her husband, “Behold now, I know that this is a holy man of God who is continually passing our way” (2Ki 4.9, ESV).
- Aaron the Priest,
16 When men in the camp were jealous of Moses
and Aaron, the holy one of the Lord…
(Psa 106.16, ESV)
- Samson the Judge,
- Jesus of Nazareth: The Holy One of God
- He is the Judge.
- He is the Prophet.
- He is the Priest.
- Unclean Spirits Know the Identity of Jesus
- James 1 affirms,
19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! (Jam 2.19).
- Apostles know the identity of Jesus.
- Do you know the identity of Jesus?
- If so, what are you doing about it?
- James 1 affirms,