Listen to a recording of the sermon:
Download the Notes: 07062014WhoWasJesusDonRuhl
Who Was Jesus?
Don Ruhl • Savage Street, Grants Pass, Oregon • July 6, In the year of our Lord, 2014
- Liar, lunatic or Lord?
- John 8 shows the opinion of some,
48 Then the Jews answered and said to Him, “Do we not say rightly that You are a Samaritan and have a demon?” 49 Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon; but I honor My Father, and you dishonor Me. 50 And I do not seek My own glory; there is One who seeks and judges. 51 Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death.” 52 Then the Jews said to Him, “Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and You say, ‘If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.’ 53 Are You greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? And the prophets are dead. Who do You make Yourself out to be?” (John 8.48–53).
- Verse 49 shows that He did not have a demon.
- Would a demon honor the Father?
- Did Jesus Have a Demon Making Him a Liar?
- Where did he lie?
- If He lied:
- Is He a good man or teacher?
- Can He be trusted in anything?
- Yet, most people acknowledge Him as good.
- Does the devil help or hurt people?
- He only helps you to hurt you later.
- He appeared to help Eve, but it was only to destroy her later.
- Does God hurt or help people?
- He only hurts you to help you later.
- Did Jesus Have a Demon Making Him a Lunatic?
- On what occasion did He display lunacy?
- If He was a lunatic:
- He was the greatest deceiver.
- He cannot be trusted.
- Yet most acknowledge His goodness by affirming that His way is best.
- If you think He was out of His mind, why do you think so?
- Was Jesus from Satan Or God?
- Incident of John 9.
- Contrasting ideas about Jesus,
16 Therefore some of the Pharisees said, “This Man is not from God, because He does not keep the Sabbath.” Others said, “How can a man who is a sinner do such signs?” And there was a division among them (John 9.16).
- Satan possessed people to harm them (Mark 5).
- God possesses people to help them (John 9).
- Such a miracle showed the hand of God.
- Jesus Must Be the Lord
9 …if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation (Rom 10.9–10).
36 “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.” 37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?” 38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” (Acts 2.36–38).